Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Scopa Saltimburger

Scopa is part of the Bresolin brothers’ empire, which includes Duke Carvell’s; I dine at both fairly regularly, and they’re always good quality. Their entry in the Burger Wellington competition is the Scopa Saltimburger. As the name implies, it’s based on saltimbocca, the Italian dish made with veal and prosciutto. They’ve gone the same way with a veal-and-pork-based patty, wrapped in prosciutto and topped with provolone cheese; served in a ciabatta roll, with apple coleslaw and watercress garnish, and rosemary roast potatoes (which looked suspiciously like chips) on the side. The Garage Project beer match was Pils’n’Thrills, which is always a tasty drop. How does that sound to you?


Cos I’m telling you, it tastes fantastic. There’s a lot going on in this bun, but unlike yesterday’s burger, all the flavours complement each another, instead of fighting for attention. The bun maintained its integrity to the last bite, which is always a good sign. Altogether, this was a well thought out and well-crafted burger, and I’m struggling to think why I shouldn’t give it 10/10. I’ve dropped my year 1 criterion of “must be a beef burger to score 10” as I felt this was narrowing my choices. Nope, can’t think of a reason. This is a 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment