Friday, August 15, 2014

The French Onion Soup Burger

And they’re off! Yes, I’m starting my annual burger odyssey with exactly the same phrase as last year. After all, a tradition is a tradition. It’s Wellington On A Plate time, and with it, the Burger Wellington competition.

First up this year was a visit to The General Practitioner, to check my burger health. This year’s offering was the French Onion Soup Burger. First, let me read you the description on the Wellington On A Plate website:

Shaved beef striploin patty with melted Kingsmeade Emmental cheese and caramelised onions on a Pandoro sesame bun, with dipping gravy and bistro frites. Garage Project beer match: Garagista

And here’s how it looked:



The downside: Firstly, the description definitely uses the word “patty”. There was no patty. There was shaved beef. Secondly, the Kingsmeade Emmental cheese was conspicuous by its absence. Despite this, it was, to coin a phrase, a tasty burger meat sandwich. The beef was nicely rare, and the frites and dipping gravy were particularly good.

The matching beer, Garagista, was also a tasty brew – a typically heavily hopped IPA with bags of flavour and a long, grapefruity aftertaste.  The waitress managed to knock my first one over whilst trying to land my board, so I got another can (yes, it comes in cans…despite this, it’s very good) on the house.

As expected, not the greatest burger meat sandwich, and if it’s the worst one I have this year, I won’t be at all disappointed. I scored it 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment